Sunday, January 20, 2008

Southern Manners

Northern Manners Versus Southern Manners
Manners is something I pride myself on. I was born in New York City and grew up in Dallas, Texas and somewhere along those two big cities, I learned my manners. Being from the South, manners are something that is taught to you once you can walk. If you bump into a lady at the grocery story, your parents force you to say you’re sorry, or if you walk in front of someone looking at something on the shelf, you say, “pardon me,” and walk by really quickly. In this article I am giving my response to the article titled, "Big City Versus Small Town Manners" by Cortney Philip.

What I learned in my life is that you should always error on the side of being too nice. I have always opened doors for girls, called the elderly ma’am or sir, have proper table manners, say excuse me if I bump into someone, and I always say please and thank you. I would agree that making eye contact is a must in a small town, but even in Dallas, which I consider to be a pretty big town, I always make eye contact and say a cheery, “Good Morning,” or “Good Afternoon,” or at least a “Hello.” However, when I am walking down the street of New York City, I know never to make eye contact with anyone or say a greeting to. My roommate in college is from the Big City and she hounds me every time I accidentally make eye contact with someone walking the opposite way, or if I accidentally say, “Hi.” I have learned too, to play with my cell phone or iPod to avoid the stranger.


Page: 1 2 Next »
Email this article to a friend
You may also like...
Slavery Before the Civil War - Abolitionist Movements Creating Freedom
Landrum, SC, Tryon and Saluda, NC are Great Small Town Vacation Destinations
Voice Mail Manners to Send the Right Message
Shade-loving Southern Natives for Zone 7 and 8
The Cause of the Civil War

By Shawnie, published Nov 03, 2006
Published Content: 211 Total Views: 127,399 Favorited By: 0
Contact Subscribe Add to Favorites
Adjust Font+-EmailPrintSave Northern Manners Versus Southern Manners


http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/79077/northern_manners_versus_southern_manners.html



Submit your original video, text, audio and images to Associated Content to gain exposure and even earn cash. Get started.






Digg

Facebook

Myspace

Del.icio.us

Technorati
StumbleUpon

Slashdot

Reddit

Netscape

Yahoo My Web
More Bookmarks »
Share Publish YoursRating:3.9 of 5Currently 3.90/512345
Northern Manners Versus Southern Manners
Enlarge +


New York City

Credit: nationalgeographic.com

Copyright: nationalgeographic.com


More by Shawnie
Is the Youth of Today Unwilling to Commit?
A Poem Called We
Best Merlot Wine Reviews Under $20
Education Reform in the States
View all »

Takeaways
The South has always been known for being well mannered regardless of city size.
When people think big city, New York City is a given.
In big cities, it is best to avoid all contact with other people.

Did You Know?
New York City was recently voted the most friendly city in the USA.

Resources
www.associatedcontent.com/article/62138/big_c

No comments: